Saturday, December 23, 2006

Rebuked

I was feeling miserable today until I met this old man at the gym...

He was in a wheelechair. I could tell he was trying really hard to get all the workout he can even though he could only do very little. He went around the running track a few times in his wheelechair. Initially I thought it was just his legs that weren't functional until he came close to me, hesitantly, and said: 'Excuse me, will you please help me open my water bottle? It's just that my hands don't work very well.' Neverously, I walked over and helped him twist open the cap of his water bottle. The bottle was quite dirty and it felt sticky. I wonder when the last time was it got washed. Maybe it's because he wasn't physically able to wash it himself. All of a sudden I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness, and then I felt ashamed because a moment ago I was totally consumed with misery by some little things in my own life, which seemed so trivial compared to what this man had to go through everyday of his life.

'Thank you so much', he said.

'You're welcome', I mumbled without looking into his eyes. I quickly turned around and walked away. The feelings of sadness and shame turned into tears. I felt like I had just met with Jesus.

It was first of all a rebuke for me to stop being self-centred, then a reminder to be thankful and content with all that God has blessed me with in life, and a call to give and serve with what I have.

2 Comments:

Blogger dkf said...

Thanks for this post Wendy, it's one of the many wake-up calls lately for me also to quit feeling sorry for myself.

11:48 PM  
Blogger amac said...

thanks wendy

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home