Monday, November 27, 2006

Burrrr...
I learnt an important lesson today on 'basic home maintenance'.
The baseboard heater in my apartment had been down for awhile, probably since I moved in this past summer. The fact that I hadn't been getting any heat didn't bother me until this last couple of days when the average temperature in Calgary dropped down to between -22 C and -32 C (there's going to be a wind chill of -40 C tonight). I started to put on layers of clothes and used an extra blanket on top of my down comforter when I slept. It worked. I slept through the night and didn't feel cold at all. I thought I could probably survive without the heater until this morning when I noticed a thick layer of ice had started to form on the inside of my windows. I called the management office and explained my situation. Within 30 minutes a mechanic came in and fixed my heater. Before he left he looked at me and said in quite a stern tone of voice: 'Do you realize if the water freezes in the pipe it could cause a lot of damage to your home? Next time you NEED to call right away!'

Caption: Ice on my window

9 Comments:

Blogger Nico said...

Wow, I can't even survive summit! That's some intense chill.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Alison Ma said...

whooa.. that's pretty crazy!

12:09 AM  
Blogger Dawei said...

haha Wendy,do you not know that heater in Calgary's winter is not a luxury but necessity? jk :)
I'm trying to picture what your facial expression was like while listening to the mechanic. Maybe you should use this in your spiritual conversations: having no Jesus in your life is like having no heat at your home--- it causes more damage than you think! :)

1:40 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Holy macaroni!! That's insane!!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh, Wendy, that's totally like East Asia! When the heat doesn't turn on until like, halfway through November, and you spend nights with hot water bottles because it's SOOOOOO COOOOOOLD! :) Miss you Wendy bendy!
ni shi wode Bunhead!

11:33 PM  
Blogger Terra said...

great picture wendy.
I can totally hear the mechanic guy.
see you on MONDAY!!!! WHOO HOO!!!!

5:56 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

wendy, you're toooo funny.

monday, monday - everyone's favourite day of their LIFE.

5:37 PM  
Blogger xyQco said...

you should get a giant hamster wheel and run in it to generate heat! Then you can save it for later. like a snack! you're always doing some form of exercise when i see you. er, when i did see you in calgary.

3:06 AM  
Blogger Following His Lead said...

Wendy! If it's that cold in Calgary I'm not sure I want to come for Winter Con. How much clothing do you have to where outside?

Don't worry. I'll still come, but perhaps a hamster wheel would be something to look into:) Hope to see you soon for WC.

Merry Christmas!
Robyn

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home